2021 Board of Directors
President: Rebekah Miller
Vice President: Anji Scalf
Recording Secretary: Carole Calderwood
Treasurer and Treasurer-in-Training: Mickie Vail and William Trione
Civics Education Committee Vice Chairs: Bonnie Bless-Boenish and Maren Halvorsen
Communications Committee Chair: Teresa 'T' Lyn
Diversity-Equity-Inclusion (DEI) Committee Chair: OPEN
Environment Committee Chair: OPEN
Healthcare Committee Chair: Nancy Field
Member at Large Committee Chair: Margie Whitmore
Membership Engagement Committee Chair: Dr. Monica Dixon
Voter Services Committee Chair: OPEN. Note: This Committee has several distinct responsibilities, each of which we recommend be headed up by a Vice-Chair or Sub-Committee Chair. As with the President, the Chair/Vice Chairs/Subcommittee Chairs of the Voter Services MUST be non-partisan, and cannot contribute any resources (time, money, etc.) to any candidate.
Welcoming Committee Chair: Marcia Radey
Book Club: Vicci Rudin
Walking Group: Marcia Radey
If you are interested in any of the above OPEN positions, committees, or groups, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Previous Board
An Updated Post-COVID Photo Promised Someday...
Pictured back row left to right: Marcia Radey, Linda Benson, Margie Whitmore, Carrol Hull, Paula Barnes, Nancy Field.
Front row left to right: Jessica Hernandez, Rebekah Miller, Bonnie Bless-Boenish.
Not pictured: Mickie Vail and T Lyn.
Board of Directors: Responsibilities
The Board of Directors, also referred to as the Board, shall be composed of the four offices described in Article V, the Chairs of the Standing Committees as ex officio members of the Board, plus other directors as appointed by the Board of Directors. The total Board shall not be fewer than five members, and all are voting members of the Board.
- Administrative and policy-making arm of the League;
- Provides directions and leadership in carrying out members’ decisions;
- Ultimately responsible for all plans and activities of committees, study groups and ad hoc groups;
- Once the Board approves a study, project or program in broad outline, the responsible Director and/or Committee determines the details and, with regular progress reports to the Board, sees that the plan is carried out.
Committee Chairs: Responsibilities
- Schedules, sets agenda for, and writes a summary report for the Committee meetings;
- Facilitates the Committee meetings;
- Provides leadership, support, and hands-on help in carrying out committee members’ decisions, activities, outreach, and/or programs; and
- Attends and presents the summary Committee report at the monthly Board meeting;
Meeting Dates and Times
Monthly Board Meetings: Board meetings are usually held the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Currently we are meeting remotely via ZOOM. Post-pandemic we will alternate in-person meeting locations to accommodate Board and League members residing or working in Port Angeles and Sequim. ALL League members are welcome to attend the monthly board meetings.
Committee Meetings: Committees typically meet at least monthly, at a date/time/location that is convenient for the Committee members. Currently we are meeting remotely via ZOOM. If the activity level is high for a Committee, it may meet more than once a month, or communicate via email. Once you have joined a Committee, you will be notified of the next meeting's date/time/location. If you are interested in joining a Committee, you are welcome to attend a Committee meeting before you make your decision. Simply contact the Committee's chair beforehand to let them know of your interest.
Gatherings: Throughout the year, we gather either for a Summer BBQ and an Autumn Kick-off, just for fun. These events are typically held at the home of a League member in either Port Angeles or Sequim. We encourage ALL members to attend, and to bring their family members/significant others. Food is served. Gathering dates, times. and locations will be announced in a newsletter and on the website event calendar. Please RSVP so we can plan accordingly.
Annual Meetings: We currently hold two annual meetings, typically in Sequim. Both meetings are open to all League members, and we encourage ALL members to attend! New members: these meetings are perfect for discovering what the League is all about. If you are inclined to actively participate in the League, this is a great meeting to attend to figure out if your interests, skills, or experience match up with any of our Committee opportunities! Refreshments are served at both meetings. Please RSVP so we can plan accordingly.
- In January, we hold the annual Program Planning Meeting, which outlines the current and upcoming Committee work for the coming year. We'll hear about upcoming legislation affecting issues that we are interested in. We'll welcome our new members, and visit with current members.
- At the Spring Annual meeting, we nominate board members and chairs and find out what is going on in the Committees and the state legislature on issues we are interested in. We typically have a speaker. Due to Covid-19, the 2020 Annual Meeting was a combination of Facebook Town Hall and an online servey to obtain member input and address any questions they had.
Strategic Planning Retreat: The Strategic Planning Retreat is held annually in the summer, usually at the home of a Board member or Committee chair. All Board members and standing Committee chairpersons attend.
Our members discuss topics in a respectful way. We work from an agenda. We learn effective techniques for public discussion, how to advocate on specific policies, and what the issues beneath the rhetoric are. Our study and consensus process ensures that we are fully informed on issues before we take a stand. We also host public forums and debates which are well known for being fair, transparent and civil. This approach has earned the League a global reputation for integrity and thoroughness.
All members are encouraged to join at least one committee, and even to chair one. You will receive plenty of help from those with experience and these positions are a great way to build leadership skills.